View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 04:40 PM
FAIPMAFIA
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2019

Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but the reality of getting hired off the street into a guard fighter unit is a pretty long shot.

I think your chances of landing an OTS, pilot training, and B-course slot from a guard unit at your stage of career/life is going to be tough, unless you have a close connection to the unit and have been rushing them for a long while. The fighter units I’m familiar within the guard and reserves save their UPT slots for folks within the unit, or through a very selective process for recent college grads off the street. A Current/Qualified fighter pilot off active duty that costs them nothing will face stiff competition to be hired into a unit.
Call the unit and ask to speak with someone involved with the hiring (Usually a DO type). They’ll be able to give you an idea of the feasibility of your plan.

If you do get hired, you can take mil leave from your civilian job for training and seasoning orders. Hope it works out for you.

So not true! Tons of off the street hires at UPT when I was there. I say if flying fighters is what you want the go for it. I am an airline guy who went to UPT in a similar situation. I was a. Off the street hire. Good luck to you.