View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Sputnik
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Petting Zoo

Originally Posted by Pilot553 View Post

When you compare this to the pay scales at any legacy airline right now where upgrades are typically sub 5 years it doesn’t quite pencil out. You are leaving a lot on the table it sounds like. The units I spoke with said they had not heard of anyone leaving a legacy carrier in this fashion.
I can't tell you how much money you and your family require, good on you for considering that. How does that compare to your current job?

Keep in mind, you'd have an ever climbing seniority number the whole time you'd be on orders. When you did return, it would be to a nice situation. At DL at least, you'd also be pulling in 401k and profit sharing while out. Don't know the particulars of the other airlines, but I'm sure you'd be getting retirement contributions to some degree. You need to throw that into your math.

You're in your early 30s, after you're back at the airline for a year or two, how much will you have missed the difference in pay? Money is money, but if you can pay the bills on your mil salary, will that be enough to tide you over till you come back, on 5th+ year pay?

You don't have a dilemma till you're at an airline with a UPT offer to consider.

Only you can decide how much your childhood dream is worth (well, and your family). I love my job but wouldn't trade any of my military time for a lower seniority number.