View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 01:27 PM
fishforfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Hoping for any position

Originally Posted by CGfalconHerc View Post
Well said! Even with WB/NB banding..there would be very little movement once a pilot became senior in either band. The supposition that banding would reduce training events is an exact result of stagnation in senior categories. With multiple pay rates, theres more choice for those willing to sacrifice pay rates for QOL, airframe preference, commuting for the money, or just moving up the chain.

I do understand that if senior pilots sat at the top of their banded categories, junior pilots would have an opportunity to take those higher paying spots that would be otherwise filled by those senior guys. But, it would most likely mean a commute to new aircraft delivery spots or retirement vacancies.

Might be worth it, but for those pilots waiting for a chance to move to SLC320A, ATL320A, MSP320A..ect..the wait would be longer. Didnt I just see someone pretty upset that he didnt get awarded ATL320A after 23 yrs but he could have been awarded the left seat in almost every other acft and/or base in the last 3 yrs? Because he wants ATL320A...a senior category for whatever reason...just like folks wanting SLC320A to retire in Park City and go to the Deer Valley Concert series on reserve.

Those categories will always be senior, and pay banding would make it even less likely that junior plots would be able to get to their ultimate goal.

Jmho, CG
Except we have about 1000 retirements per year for the next 4 years and then only slightly tapering off. If a senior guy decides to just hang out on the 764 or 330 vs going to the 777 or 350 there are still spots that open and need to be filled due to retirements. Movement is movement and there is no stopping (yet) the fact that there WILL be A positions throughout the fleet. I’m sure there is plenty of data showing the amount of training done in the last 5 years of the average career and if the company thought this would save them $1 they would be pushing for it.