View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 02:28 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Boeing is increasing 767 production rate on 1 Jan 20 by a half plane a month, and reportedly has considered raising the rate on 1 Jul 20 and again 1 Jan 21 but that is dependent upon component availability from subcontractors.

UPS has piecemealed small orders for 767s over the last few years, buying two here, four there, etc...I've little doubt they'll continue doing that as opportunities present themselves.

I also would not be surprised if Atlanta were leaning on Boeing to formally announce the 767-X that was rumored in the last couple months, as it would hold four more main deck containers than the 763 with a footprint almost identical to the MD11. Boeing could use a win right now, and the 767 seems to be a bright spot alongside the 787 given its issues with the MAX and 777X development.

I'm not personally concerned about MDs leaving via mass parking like the DC8, even once we get all 28 Ochos there's no way we can sacrifice that much lift barring a MAJOR decrease in volume. And even if they did, in 2024 mandatory retirements hit triple digits and remain there for over a decade.

Cautious optimism should rule the day over unbridled enthusiasm IMO...especially as bid fence-sitters jump in and out prior to 1500z today.