View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 10:31 PM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
This is not an attitude that is going help you attain your goal. While the hiring environment is one of the best in decades, there is no upside for you to go into your quest with this viewpoint. I think it's easy for mil guys to get to the point where a legacy job appears to be a done deal. They've got the quals, their buds are being scooped up left and right, airlines are making $$ hand over fist, etc. Be careful. Having an attitude that the job is "waiting for you" is not going to be easy to hide as you interact with all the people who you will meet on your journey toward a 121 career. Shake that attitude off now and realize you have a lot of prep work to do in order to make that goal a reality.

Quals and meticulous application work get you in the door. Confidence in the interview seat will come with self-study on all topics ATP/121 and (while not required but highly recommended), a good interview/test prep course. Landing the job is all about you and how effectively you present yourself and express your desire to work for that specific company. I guarantee you that if you show up assuming the job is yours and the interview is a formality, it's going to be a humbling experience. You're being evaluated during every part of the process and regardless of which airline it is, it's very likely you're only going to get one shot. Plenty of very qualified, very good pilots have stumbled for a variety of reasons and been shown the door. Don't think for a second that it can't happen to you. So don't be that guy - a humble, "grateful for the chance" attitude is a great place to start. Good luck to you.
Pretty much a longer/more drawn out but very direct way to say what I was saying in post #3.