View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 08:15 PM
4runner
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Allegheny View Post
I think one of the problems with accidentally carrying a weapon through security happens in those states with "concealed carry" or very "lenient" laws regarding carriage of a firearm.

Please don't make this post a 2nd amendment rights argument or say that I am anti gun. I have 4 hand guns and I enjoy shooting but I live in a community and state where the laws on carriage are more strict. As a result I am never carrying a firearm in any luggage or on my person but only in a locked box or carrier in the car to and from a shooting facility.

I regularly traveled through Charlotte, the Known Crew-member Line, and there was one TSA agent who would always ask, any firearms? The question was always prior to crossing the yellow line. At first I thought what a ridiculous question, but later I realized that NC carry laws might be less stringent, and a person can legally carry a concealed weapon right up to that point.

I asked him about it later and found he was a strong gun rights guy and didn't want anyone who was used to carrying a weapon in a bag or on his person to get into trouble. He stated that he has had several people thank him. One guy backed up and called his wife who came out the the airport and took the gun and saved him fines and legal trouble. He was legal as long as he didn't attempt to carry the weapon into the secure area.

I don't know the exact details of these incidents and don't want to anger concealed carry adherents. If you live in a state and locality where carrying a firearm is legal, and you do so regularly, you are probably more likely to forget you have it when you go to the airport for work
There are no “lenient” states or laws “allowing” concealed carry. There are only restrictive and in some views, unconstitutional states or laws. We are all permitted to posses or carry weapons unless told otherwise. It’s not the other way around.