Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by BryceA8 View Post
What’s wrong with my judgement?
Ah, doubling down...

Originally Posted by BryceA8 View Post
There’s nothing wrong with flying to all the states.
That is not what you stated you were going to do. What you stated as your intention was to fly to 48 states, IN ONE MONTH, flying 8-10 hours per day. To up the ante the month was December, the month of the year with the shortest days and longest nights. From your towering experience level of 600 hours. “Roughing it” by
sleeping in FBO's, hammock or tent.
Now clearly what you are proposing is not 121 flying and not subject to 117 limitations, but that does NOT mean that ignoring 117 limitations is necessarily prudent. You propose to fly - in a small unpressurized general aviation aircraft with high noise levels and another relatively inexperienced time-building pilot whose sole required qualifications appear to be that he/she can pay his/her share of the expenses while ‘sleeping rough’ - an amount of flying that would be three times what is legal (let alone prudent) for a couple of ATPs with dispatch help, hotels with clean sheets at night, etc., to do in a modern pressurized aircraft flying under 121.

Now I realize the highest elevation in all of Michigan is less than 2000 feet, but that is NOT the case in many of the lower 48. In the West MEAs for mountain passes are frequently in the mid teens. You going to try to squeeze through underneath? Try and go on top - sucking O2 if you are doing it legally? After how many days/nights of sleeping rough?

The mishap report I posted was for a Cessna 177B, granted it was 20 hp less and 15 knots slower than your 177RG, but three people died trying to do something far less ambitious, fatiguing, and dangerous than what you are assuming you can do. I don’t fault the ‘student pilot’ who after all was only seven and I wouldn’t expect her to know any better. I do fault the two adults with her who were dumb, dumb, dumb.

Take from that what you will.