View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 AM
LivinTheDream28
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by SAABaroowski View Post
I have read a few times that I, as well as some others are "bitter" at Colgan, becuase of the quick upgrades and growth, well here is my perspective.

I worked there for a long enough time to learn a thing or two about how they run an airline. I am not sure if they run it the same way now as when I was there, but it is a swift kick in the testicles when an airline like Colgan, (low pay, no work rules, no union, no per diem on day trips, no easy way to trade/drop trips, outstation basing that seems to never work out when it comes to wanting a certain base. a management team that should be locked away for the B.S. they pulled to some people when I was there)................and what does this lead too????????????????? More airplanes and growth I don't know about you but to me that is something to be disgusted with. I like the guys I flew with over there and the SAAB was a great airplane, and I learned a lot. If you think some of us at Express are bitter, well look at it from our perspective, we have a management group that treats us with respect and pay/work rules that are among the top at the regional level. Movement is quick over at Colgan and you guys are expanding, but at what expense? You aren't getting the pay you guys deserve and whether or not you get a union in the next few months won't mean a thing, becuase the Q's are already on property and you already got the flying for CAL. Do you think Pinnacle/Colgan management are going to negotiate a good contract with your pilot group after you accepted low pay on the Q?

The problem I have is that the good airlines (regional) seem to get the shaft, meanwhile airlines like Colgan grow. I don't know why you guys can't figure out that nothing is ever going to improve if airlines like Colgan grow........

I know I know it is just a stepping stone to the majors.............well I got news for ya the more 80 seat airplanes there are flying around for CAL, whether its a prop or jet is less mainline airplanes which I hope you understand means less mainline jobs..............

Saab, I understand exactly how you're feeling. We are clearly getting the shaft, but the thing is...I don't really see any other great regional carriers getting shafted. Look at skywest, they continue to expand and get more airplanes, AWAC may not be growing right now but their contract lasts for quite awhile and USAir hasn't shown any signs of booting them. The thing is, it’s really just us that are in a bad spot right now. Its really nobodies fault (at our company); it just so happened that our main source of business decided one day that we were too expensive. So now we are in the spot we're in. I agree, it sux, but until we have the opportunity to bid for more flying with someone else, we have no where to go at the present time. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who feels this way. As a pilot group we have a whole lot of solutions for what we think needs to happen, but until we get out of the grasp of this CPA, our hands will remain tied.

btw, didn't mean to take away from what this thread is supposed to be about