Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Captainfit View Post
What is the typical cost of these ratings by itself, assuming the person has a commercial multi/single
It's really difficult to quote a price on any of these ratings! It really depends on your experience although, there are schools that will state a price.

The CFI single engine land was my first achievement many years ago and it took me a couple months with a first time failure. First step is to obtain a super CFI (one who has 2+ years instructing) who enjoys teaching initial CFI applicants.

In addition, I would take the certified ground instructor AGI and FOI (fundamentals of Instructing), The cost of the CGI rating is a couple hundred dollars (cost of written exams and books) with no oral or practical. The FOI will not have to be taken again for the CFI! It gives you the opportunity to learn how to teach by teaching ground school classes or your "super" CFI's students. You need lots of practice preparing and delivering lesson plans as well as answering student questions.

Depending on your currency, you will probably need about 10 to 20 hours teaching from the right seat both private and commercial maneuvers. This will be dual instruction from your super CFI.

There are designated examiners that can give the initial CFI checkride ranging in fees from $500 to $1000. If the FAA is available, they are free.

This is a good starter then you can focus on the CFII and MEI.
I'm shooting in the dark for costs but probably about $5K for the initial CFI, $2500 for the CFII and $5K for the MEI plus or minus a couple grand. Depends on your background!

Last edited by 155mm; 12-02-2019 at 02:52 PM.