View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:15 AM
mainlineAF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: 6th place

Originally Posted by HardLemonade View Post
Don't skip the flow like those 200+ lifers did. BUT, come over with eyes wide open. QOL will suck in the beginning. As will your income during the first year.

In 9 years at Eagle/Envoy I never worked a holiday. Why? Because I was able to bid exact lines, hard lines or RSV lines that had the days off I needed. Over here at AA we have PBS. You have next to zero control over days off. Or much of anything else. You make a wish list of days which you would like off. And the PBS computer goes in and arbitrarily gives you some or none of them. Most likely none.

It's about as useful as Anne Frank's drum kit. Example, I had zero expectation of getting Christmas off. But, I needed the 21st off for a family event. That was the one day I requested from PBS. What did I get? A 5 day block smack in the middle of the 21st, followed by ONE day off and then a 6 day block over Christmas. And why? Who knows. PBS does PBS things.

Pay? After taxes and insurance it's about $2800 per paycheck.. subtract expenses for the inevitable commute. Crash Pads range from $300 to $500 depending on the city and how many rats you want to share a living space with. Plus the costs of Uber. If you are a commuter on RSV, which you will be, forget about picking up OT. Your only hope for extra cabbage is something called OG which is not offered very often. Even when it is, it'll cut into your already few days at home.

Again, flow. Long term things will be much better at AA than at the regionals. But be prepared for the first year suck. If you live within driving distance of NY, MIA, PHL, or LAX life will be slightly better as you won't need to commute. Otherwise, get the lube ready.

PBS is baller to me. You didn’t get those days off because you’re junior, not because of PBS.