Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Herkyjerky View Post
I'm 28, married. Part time C-130 pilot in the air guard. Most of my buddies are at the regionals/majors and they seem to be doing well, but honestly that lifestyle doesn't appeal to me. Granted I've never done it, but besides the money I don't think I would enjoy it.
I've known several folks who left AD to work at local FSDO's, none lasted a year. They either quit in disgust, or were let go on probation (they weren't good cultural fits... the Navy culture they came from wasn't toxic enough enough to prepare them for the FAA). This is ground truth for my local FSDO, YMMV.

That's GA, AC is different. AC folks will be all around better on average. I've worked with both kinds over the course of my career. Since big money is at stake, politically the FAA cannot allow loose-cannon tools to run amuck at a CMO. No such proscription for GA.

Does this career allow for living in whatever location/FSDO I choose? (based on staffing obviously) I would like the capacity to move around the U.S. and live in different areas for 2-3 years then move if I desired.
Hopefully an actual Fed will respond, but here's what I've gathered second-hand from talking to them...

GA jobs are fixed, but you can always apply for job openings in other towns.

I've read that this career allows for working remotely, how does that work? how often are you required to go into the office?
Since inspections need to be performed at various airports within the territory, it makes sense that you have flexibility. Not sure how often in the office, I'd guess 1-2 days/week min.

CMO folks will travel some obviously.

I saw the list of FSDO's in respect to GA and AC, GA has more offices. AC are still located in some of the states I'd like to live, if I can work remotely then this is an option all the same.
I don't think it can be a telecommuting gig, as in living far away. For GA seems like you'd have to be local to the territory you'd be inspecting.

What's the main difference in work between AC and GA? I've read that AC has more funding (higher pay?) while GA is really busy.
GA has a lot of balls to juggle for sure. AC seems more professional and organized to me.

As far as becoming qualified, In time ill have the hour minimum, has anyone seen a strictly military pilot get hired for AC? I understand I'll have to take an ATP check-ride.
Yes, they hire mil folks straight off the turnip truck.

On the other hand, I was playing with the idea of working at the local flight school and get a CFI/II MEI to build time and make some extra coin, is that a smart move? I figure worse case scenario I'll be building flight time which you all know is good to have in this field, but it comes at a considerable financial and time cost.
That will enhance your qualifications for sure. But with all of the pilot hiring right now, I'm not sure you'd need it for a FSDO job.

I've seen the pay scales, it looks like you can put in some time and pull over 100k with a few years of experience, is this a fair assessment?
Probably, should be the case with most white-collar GS jobs.

SYNOPSIS: Part-time military pilot with low hours is considering a career as an ASI for the work/life balance.
Bro-to-Bro: I wouldn't recommend it in this climate, airline opportunities are unprecedented, and even if you don't "need" the money, do it for a while and save up. When you have an appropriate nest egg, THEN you have the freedom to do whatever you want. Federal retirement is not what it used to be either.

AC ASIs spend a lot of time riding around on jumpseats. Getting paid far less than the other two guys in the cockpit. I'd recommend one of the more comfortable seats, and more comfortable paycheck.

I've met a variety of ex-regional pilots working AC ASI, usually they got into that because their regional was going to PCS or furlough them.

I considered it at one point myself (very new to civil aviation), and simply didn't know what I didn't know. Honestly I suspect what you might be really looking for would be found as an NTSB investigator. That's a job I could actually get excited about, money aside.