Thread: Lga 145
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
highfarfast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post
You get unlimited hotels in base. Those reservations are for one day at a time and you must check out every day and put in a request for another hotel each day. Sometimes you go straight back to the same hotel and sometimes you have to switch. On occasion, if you call, scheduling can approve you staying in the hotel before the check out time. BUT...if they think it is possible they will use you, they will deny that request until you are released form duty at the end of your reserve period.

The commuting policy in the LOA is that you can make an A-12 reservation which is NOT a positive space ticket. If you put in for an A-12 pass, you will be assigned a seat IF the flight has enough open seats AND it isn't forecast to sell too many. Otherwise, you are one step behind a revenue standby and one step ahead of a non-rev standby. If you are an A-12, it is not proper to accept a jumpseat ahead of a D-2 commuter, so you must have a seat in the back or you will miss the flight. You also have a time limit before a flight that you can list as an A-12 (I forget what it is, but it doesn't matter). As a reserve pilot, you won't know far enough in advance what flight you can use to commute home so you will have to list as a D-2 on the way home unless you plan on commuting home the day after. Virtually no one does that.

Honestly, the A-12 pass is almost more problem than solution depending on the city you are commuting from. On busy routes, you won't have open seats and you limit yourself to the back. It just doesn't work.

Of course, none of this applies to any other base.
I concur that the A-12, as it is allowed to be used, is pretty close to worthless. I learned this while being home based tdy. I don't think anything made me cringe more than when I'd hear someone say "OH! You get positive spaced to work!" when I told them my status.