View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 06:10 AM
O2pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by APC225 View Post
As to the first question, yes. I do that and it’s a single page authorization form to do it. As to the second question, I’d say yes as well, a call to the Schwab rep would be in order. With $10B managed for UAL pilots, they are very responsive. The R&I Booklet is must reading for all this, pages 11-24 in particular.

(800) 724-7526

“Post-Tax
At any time, you may elect to contribute from 1% to 100% of your eligible compensation (less your required taxes and deductions) on a post-tax basis. However, no post-tax contributions will be deducted from your paycheck until you have made the maximum possible pretax/Roth 401(k) deferral contribution for the year (for 2019: $19,000 if you are under age 50; $25,000 if you are 50 or older). Once you have reached these applicable limits, post- tax contributions will begin as of the next payroll cycle. As a result, pretax/Roth 401(k) contributions and post-tax contributions will not be deducted from the same paycheck.

The post-tax balances will be held in a separate account within your PRAP from contributions to your regular pretax 401(k) and Roth 401(k). Earnings on post-tax contributions are not taxable until withdrawn. Post-tax balances may be withdrawn at any time without a qualifying financial hardship, at which time the applicable earnings are subject to federal taxes.

Rollover
You are also permitted to roll over contributions from other qualified retirement plans (i.e., from a previous employer) into your PRAP, with certain limitations.

ROTH CONVERSIONS
Balances in any account sources in the PRAP can be converted to a Roth source. This can be the entire account source or just a portion of it. To convert balances from non-Roth to Roth, call Schwab at 866-855-7727. Any amounts converted to Roth that are not post-tax contributions will be subject to tax in the year converted. You will receive a 1099-R for the taxable amount. Therefore, pilots should carefully consider converting their balances, since the conversion of pretax balances in non-Roth accounts to Roth accounts may trigger a substantial taxable liability.“

https://www.alpa.org/ual/-/media/UAL...efits-book.pdf
How is Roth different from regular post-tax? They are both post tax aren’t they? What’s the benefit of converting regular post-tax contributions to Roth post tax? I’m assuming no tax liability since they are already post tax earnings.