View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 07:21 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

I'm grounded by a medication that's been FDA approved since 2013. It's in the family of SGLT2 inhibitors that are used by diabetics. I've had no side effects. Trying to get the FAA to approve a medicine that's only been out for a few years is like trying to move a huge bureaucratic mountain. AMAS deals with the FAA many times per week, I would spend the $$$ and talk to one of their Docs about your options. The chances are probably very slim of getting approval.

Insulin Dependent Diabetic Pilots having been flying commercially in Canada since the 1990's, and also in England. Insulin Dependent Private Pilots have been able to hold a Class 3 in the USA since the mid-90's. Yet the FAA only in the past few weeks finally relented and will now give Class 1's to those pilots. They didn't want to but DOT was facing numerous lawsuits by Diabetic Pilots and I believe crammed it down the FAA's throat. The FAA medical bureaucrats are extremely risk averse. As recently as 2-3 years ago the late Sen. John McCain was pushing the FAA hard to approve a medical for an Arizona Diabetic Pilot, and they would not relent even under duress from a powerful Senator.

Good luck, no harm in trying thou.