View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Elevation
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by Bungalow View Post
Allow me to point out some of life practical realities.

You don’t deserve anything. You are, hopefully, in control of your own professional destiny. As long as you willingly continue to work for the “slave driver” you have forfeited that control.

You don’t get to tell the “slave driver” how to treat you or how to run his affairs. They’re his.
You however, have the opportunity to run your own. Use it.

Constantly coming here to cry and complain wont do you any good. Just makes you look small.

You make a point about the constant whining. I'd re-think saying something along the lines of "Just get another job.".

If you have a house and ten years later a land-fill is allowed to be placed out your backyard, can you just get another house? Sure. You'd also lose most of your equity, put your wife (or husband) into a commuting situation if they work, put your kids into new schools, etc. Like it or not you become invested in your life. Whether or not you want to call this a sunk-cost fallacy or realistic life choices is another matter.

Instead, wouldn't it be more productive to try to get the county board to re-think their decision to place a landfill right out your back door?

Essentially this is the position of a lot of pilots. Due to a number of factors (say being about 30 when great recession happened), they wound up with about ten years invested into some of these crummy, ACMIs. The pilots of ABX especially went from having a really nice career at Airborne turn into a complete disaster. Telling these folks to just get another job trivializes the realities of life.

All that said, I agree constant whining makes us look small.