View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 03:50 AM
Terrain Inop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Schempp-Hirth

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
Hi all,

I’m very thankful to have a job offer from United. I currently have a good corporate job with a decent QOL and I’m weighing my decision to leave for UAL. The primary reason to make the switch is to have a more stable schedule and to know ahead of time when I’ll be home. Unfortunately, I don’t know a single pilot at United but I have a few questions about the operation that hopefully some of you can answer. Thanks in advance for any info you’re willing to share.

1) EWR is a 3.5 -4hr drive from my house. What does a reserve schedule look like? Will I have to commute in the night before or dose a receive block always start with long call?
Everyone starts on long call. When you're assigned short call you'll need to be able to push the aircraft in 3 hours. You can aggressively pick up trips to avoid short call assignments.

2) How much vacation does one get and how do you use it?
One week your first year (pro-rated), then two until you complete 5 years, then three weeks and it keeps going up. You bid for it annually.

3) If you want to purchase airfare for the whole family at a discount (instead of trying to fly space available) how are the tickets discounted?
There's a discount applied to the current fare structure for revenue seats. You can then use accrued miles for upgrade opportunities.

4) As I understand it, profit sharing is available after completing your first year and averages somewhere around 8%. Is this correct?
Approximately yes, but never bank on it.

5) How far in advance is your schedule known?
By the 18th of the preceding month.

6) Can someone explain how one drops or trades trips? How useful is this tool for manipulating your schedule?
Black magic and unicorns unless you're in a properly staff BES

7) How are the family healthcare benefits for someone with a large family?

Thanks again!
I've found the insurance options to be good.

I've never met an airline pilot wishing that they were flying corporate. I've met plenty of corporate guys trying to crack the code to get to the airlines. If I were in your shoes I'd take the job and bid the 737. You'll be off reserve quickly in EWR and be in a great position.