View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 AM
geosynchronous
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Corporate Captain

I have been involved with corporate aviation my whole career and I cannot say enough good things about it. There are good corporate jobs, and there are bad ones. The good ones operate with a safety philosophy second to none, rigid S.O.P’s, and a culture that treats its employees as human capital, a true resource. Simply, the bad ones don’t.

A one (large) aircraft flight department funded by a private corporation with a CEO near retirement does raise a few red flags. I would find out how the chain of command will flow once the CEO retires and concentrate on the new leaders’ vision and justification for use of the corporate aircraft.

Many newer flight departments tend to have five year tenure. This closely parallels the IRS’s M.A.C.R.S. depreciation scale. In my opinion, many new flight departments get started up with a brand new airplane; once the warranty runs out, and once the full five year depreciation has been written off, the corporation decides to sell the aircraft (with a huge IRS hit for no like-kind exchange) versus paying higher maintenance costs, which will affect overall D.O.C.’s. Just something to ponder. I would personally be cautious when examining ANY corporate job that has not been established for at least five years.

On the flip side of that issue, my last job lasted eight years, and they shut down. Knee-jerk corporate politics, necessitating a whole-new post.

Good luck with your decision!