View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 09:06 AM
LondonLad
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2019
Default Do I Have To Go To A Regional Airline?

Hi all,

First-time poster after finding this thread by accident.

Currently in a career change and getting my PPL. Didn't go through one of the big schools and am training at a local club.

Did have a couple of questions and would welcome people's thoughts.'

To get the APT license you need 1500 hours. I get that. A lot of the big flight schools offer you interviews at regional airlines, who in turn, will give you a job once you reach your hours (1500). They then promote themselves as a way to the main airlines. However, from looking at various jobs online (such as Delta, Spirit etc), they will hire you once you hit 1500. So, why bother going through a regional to get to the main airlines? I saw on the Horizon Air website that Alaska will hire between 30% to 50% of their pilots. So where is Alaska getting the rest of their pilots from?

Then other small regional airlines will hire you on 200/500 hours....so surely it is better to go with them rather than become a CFI? Granted the pay will be low, but I wouldn't mind doing that for a couple of years to build hours.

Has anyone looked at getting jobs with airlines outside of the US? I know that Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines will hire second Officers on 200 hours.

Welcome your thoughts.