View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 11:18 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by LondonLad View Post
Hi all,

First-time poster after finding this thread by accident.

Currently in a career change and getting my PPL. Didn't go through one of the big schools and am training at a local club.

Did have a couple of questions and would welcome people's thoughts.'

To get the APT license you need 1500 hours. I get that. A lot of the big flight schools offer you interviews at regional airlines, who in turn, will give you a job once you reach your hours (1500). They then promote themselves as a way to the main airlines. However, from looking at various jobs online (such as Delta, Spirit etc), they will hire you once you hit 1500. So, why bother going through a regional to get to the main airlines? I saw on the Horizon Air website that Alaska will hire between 30% to 50% of their pilots. So where is Alaska getting the rest of their pilots from?

Then other small regional airlines will hire you on 200/500 hours....so surely it is better to go with them rather than become a CFI? Granted the pay will be low, but I wouldn't mind doing that for a couple of years to build hours.
Others have answered these questions. To reinforce that, no way you're getting a major job with 1500 hours and no fighter time.

There's a REASON no CFI's are skipping the regionals to go direct to legacy majors

Originally Posted by LondonLad View Post
Has anyone looked at getting jobs with airlines outside of the US? I know that Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines will hire second Officers on 200 hours.
Lots of people have done it in the past. When the US industry was in really bad shape. They've mostly all come back recently.

But your pay, QOL, and job security will be MUCH better in the US right now.

Today it would only make sense if you really have a passion for foreign travel/adventure and are willing to sacrifice long-term money and seniority to get it.

You will also generally need captain (PIC) experience on the EXACT airline type you'll be flying overseas.

The very few employers (Cathay is one) who hire low-time foreign pilots as SO's are very selective in that process... astronaut style medical exams, etc. Also CX is in a world of hurt because of the HK situation... they won't be hiring pilots any time soon.

Last edited by rickair7777; 12-28-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Typo