View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 01:35 PM
senecacaptain
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Originally Posted by LondonLad View Post
Hi all,

First-time poster after finding this thread by accident.

Currently in a career change and getting my PPL. Didn't go through one of the big schools and am training at a local club.

Did have a couple of questions and would welcome people's thoughts.'

To get the APT license you need 1500 hours. I get that. A lot of the big flight schools offer you interviews at regional airlines, who in turn, will give you a job once you reach your hours (1500). They then promote themselves as a way to the main airlines. However, from looking at various jobs online (such as Delta, Spirit etc), they will hire you once you hit 1500. So, why bother going through a regional to get to the main airlines? I saw on the Horizon Air website that Alaska will hire between 30% to 50% of their pilots. So where is Alaska getting the rest of their pilots from?

Then other small regional airlines will hire you on 200/500 hours....so surely it is better to go with them rather than become a CFI? Granted the pay will be low, but I wouldn't mind doing that for a couple of years to build hours.

Has anyone looked at getting jobs with airlines outside of the US? I know that Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines will hire second Officers on 200 hours.

Welcome your thoughts.
the general civilian path, largely unchanged in 50 years, is reflected by this example. SPEED and LENGTH between stops changes depending on economy or pilot needs. does not consider "flow programs" aka Envoy

CFI for 1 year until 1200 TT
Aeromedical charters, Caravan freight, 135 freight in piston twins, Part 91 twin engine stuff at the local airport. 1-3 years of this
Regionals/Commuters until attaining 4000 TT ish. Prob 2+ years of this
Apply to majors, hired soon thereafter

Time to majors since CFI job typically 8+ years

assumes: 4 year Bachelors Degree. Unrestricted ATP. etc