Old 12-28-2019, 05:59 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FDNYOldGuy View Post
Is there anywhere I might be able to read up more about experiences/schedules like this? I’ve poked around here a bit and searched “reserve” and sifted through the results, but that’s a lot of hits that haven’t always been pertinent. I’d love to be able to focus my research a bit more.
There's no definitive documentation, although you can gain some insight from reading various pilot forums (US-specific forums, foreign airlines are often quite different).

Find the regionals which have bases in NY, and check out their forums here on APC. Ask questions

Originally Posted by FDNYOldGuy View Post
Long story short, I’m looking for a way to potentially work two jobs; staying with the FD with its flexible schedule and somehow get seniority started at an airline to be able to shift over to if/when I decide to punch out of the FD. From what I’ve read on reserve, this seems pretty feasible; especially since I’m living in NYC. That puts 3 major airports in easy reach and, from what I gather, is pretty junior.
That's going to be tough but might be barely achievable if you're senior enough (or however that works) at the FD to have essentially total control of your schedule and be able to work less there than ten days/month for a good long while.

You'll also need vacation/LOA during airline training... zero flexibility there and it will be all consuming. People have been known to flunk out because they go home to their families on weekends instead of hitting the books.

Probably the best way to do something like that would be to take an extended LOA from the FD if that's possible. Get settled in with some seniority at the airline, see how it is, and then decide whether to stick with one, the other, or both.

Also consider that you won't be able to do a busy 24-hour FD shift and then immediately go fly. Your cognitive performance will be too impaired. I know FD guys live that way, and I did too in the ground-pounder military but it doesn't work for pilots. Even mil pilots get mandatory rest, only exception is for major combat ops and then they get amphetamines instead (that's not an option for civilian pilots).