Thread: SWA vs AA
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 02:43 AM
Profane Kahuna
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by TexasBigJet View Post
Hello everyone! I feel like I won the lottery, and was given CJOs for WN and AA (CJOs given in October). Both companies have domiciles in the Dallas area (where I want to be), but am having a really difficult decision picking where I want to spend the next 30 years.

My issue is that I’m not sure I want to give up the opportunity to fly widebody and long-haul international someday (right now it’s looking like 3-5 years for widebody FO at AA and 15 years for widebody CA). Narrowbody CA at AA is 5-6 years, where I hear it’s about 8-10 for CA upgrade at WN.
Be sure to find out the timelines SPECIFICALLY AT DFW & DAL. Many of those quick upgrades you hear about are at undesirable bases that would require commuting.

Also, find out how long it will take you to get to DFW/DAL out of training. A couple of years ago new hires at AA were being sent to the East Coast to fly E190s with a 2 year seat lock.

Originally Posted by TexasBigJet View Post
In doing some seniority calculations, based on mandatory retirements, in 9 years I’d be in the top 50% of seniority at AA, and within the first 500 at 65 years old. Doing the same math for WN, it would take 15 years to be in the top 50%, and I would be within the first 1700 at 65 years old.
AA has the most retirements, but don’t forget hiring. I’m less than 2 years at SWA and sitting at 73% in seat already.

On a separate note, take a look at the SEC filings for both companies as well as financial industry comparisons. AA has a lot of debt and lower profit margins.

No widebodies at SWA though!