Old 01-01-2020, 02:27 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Two busts is not the end of the world, better that you only have one in 121. Not a show-stopper.

But if you're looking for the top-tier, you're probably going to need more time, at least 5k+ 121 and 3k+ TPIC, maybe more.

No more 121 busts. Additional type ratings will go a long ways towards redemption.

Re. the GPA... probably not going to DAL. Others seem to use it more as a weighting factor as opposed to a hard criteria.

You won't be stuck at a regional, LCCs should take you eventually, they might even prefer your history since it means you might stick around. Failing that there's always fractionals. Different lifestyle but pays better than regionals.

Originally Posted by Mjm8710 View Post
J My hang up is I have two oral failures on my record (Commercial multi add on oral which I could have studied harder for), and my captain upgrade oral exam a year ago (which I honestly studied harder than anything in my life but I think nerves got the best of me and found myself blanking out during basic questions). I’ve always done well in the sim but orals have been a struggle since day one.
Tell them this at the interview. You learned a lesson the first time, and then psyched yourself out. So it wasn't so much making the same mistake twice.

Silver lining: You seem to be able to fly OK. Repetitive practical test failures might suggest a fundamental lack of aptitude. Generally knowledge test failures can be addressed by study habits, so the problem can be fixed if the applicant takes the right approach. An interviewer would probably prefer you over a candidate with flight test failures.