View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Default Considering pilot career

Hello. I was hoping for some guidance. I am 24 years old, currently finishing my business degree. I have a good job, however I am ready for a career change. I have had several pilots as well as friends in aviation school who have been trying to persuade me into this career, as theres “no better time” is what I’m told. I just started the process to get my PLL. Just from flying with people, I’m very fascinated by everything. I’m in love with it already and very excited to continue it. This being said, I have a few things that I’m worried about as far as considering moving on to making this as my career. Bare with me as it might take a lot to explain myself.

First things first, my issue is I am prescribed to adderall. I never take it anymore. I’m fully functionable, working more than full time and going to college online full time. I believe I was misdiagnosed. I’m going in to the doctor in a few weeks to get off this medication and possibly have tests done to prove I don’t have ADD.

Second problem, is when I was 18, I was caught with some narcotic pills on me that I wasn’t prescribed to. I could sit here and point fingers, but it all looks the same on paper. They shouldn’t have been on me, and it’s the biggest mistake I have and will ever make. I was charged with 5th degree felony Posession of a controlled substance. I got it expunged (which I understand doesn’t matter in the aviation world as it’s federal). Other than this, my record is clean besides One speeding ticket and one seatbelt ticket.

Will airlines not consider me if I Pursue this? Or will enough time be under my belt to show how good of a person I actually am and have a shot at working for a major airline one day? I’m hoping to hear from pilots, recruiters, HR, etc. people who know or if anyone knows anyone in a similar situation as me where it’s worked out for them or hasn’t worked out, that’d be great to hear as well.

Thank you