View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 04:42 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by lavService View Post
I learned something new. I recently flew with an ex chief pilot and was having a similar conversation on how to cover the 3 airports while on reserve with the given scenario. He told me not to worry too much about it. I still feel the intent (although it appears I'm wrong) is to be able to be able to make it to one of the 3 airports in a reasonable amount of time (which for long call would be 12 hours if you're flying in). Those living in PA and sitting short call can make it to EWR in 2 hours but on occasion it will take 4+ hours to make it to JFK. That's another situation that they'll move on to the next reserve to cover a JFK trip. It's NY, I think everyone is just happy you even try to show up. If they start handing out punishments for this guys will certainly bid away from NY even more than they do now. I haven't heard of anyone getting burned for the 12 hour callout.
The NY chief pilots office with one exception who is long gone has always treated commuting and reserve pilots very fairly. As long as you are reasonable and make a honest effort to get to work you won’t have any problems. Having said that living in the Western US and claiming you can make it to NY rested for a 12 hour call out will probably not be perceived as reasonable.