Thread: Contract 2019
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Itsajob
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by baseball View Post
I would respectfully disagree with that. Here's why. ALPA compares not just our contract to DAL, but they compare our contracts to multiple airlines contracts. It's not only what pilots intuitively do, but it's what ALPA does in order to place value on contracts over the short and long terms.

Delta has taken a Larry Kellner and Gordon Bethune approach. Rather than grow international routes organically, they grow them via "the network." it's a strategic play to be sure. Continental didn't have the international footprint that it truly needed to bring in the high yield PRASM's and RASM's. But, DAL does have three times the overall footprint.

I hear what you are saying, but the reason we had Delta plus in the first place was because ALPA decided to protect the pilots should DAL leap-frog us. I would argue for stronger DAL plus language in the future. I don't think it costs us anything in negotiating capital, so it's a wise and prudent play. This time, I would add in to that other DAL plus protections. Perhaps some management plus protections too.

1. Automatic pay raise of 1.5% (above DAL) should DAL pass UAL pilots in hourly pay rates.

2. UAL management bonus match. If UAL management receives bonuses, a similar bonus scheme will be rewarded to pilots on a percentage basis.

3. Stock buy-back bonus. Should UAL buy-back stock, a pro-rata (4 to 1) computation will be achieved so as to reward pilots for this accomplishment. For example. if the company spends 100 million to buy back stock, a 25 million dollar bonus will be awarded to pilots to be split equally.

4. Full examination of all UAL management executive compensation and bonus structure. Should this examination result in an opinion that the pilots are being excluded, then a mathematical formula should be arrived at to discern what amount of money the pilots should be entitled to... (the me-too clause).

5. Should other airlines pass UAL pilots in terms of benefits, an XYZ plus clause should be implemented.

6. Should other airlines pass UAL pilots in terms of retirement programs, an ABC plus clause should be implemented.

I remember when Smizek was comparing CAL pilots wages to Aer Lingus pilots wages who were flying UAL metal across the Atlantic. Management pays attention to what pilots make not only on Equipment, and Status, but also on routes. I recall Smizek showing a slide as to what Iceland air, Norwegian, and Aer Lingus were paying pilots and comparing that to CAL pilots so as to place downward pressure on our wage expectations.
I can’t argue with this and we are actually in agreement. I was more pointing my comments at the people who say that Delta does this or that and we should too. We are different companies with different route structures, revenue, and expenses. They point out the big profit sharing checks, but overlook their scope language. I prefer how we do things for the most part, and I’m glad that the pendulum is swinging back to more mainline flying and less outsourcing. It’s going to be a fight, probably a long one, but I think that the market is on our side for the first time in a very long time. Fewer people are entering this field, and demand for our service is rising. That will mean that the airlines will move to a few less flights, but on bigger aircraft, flown by mainline pilots. Putting protections and “me too” clauses in this next contract should be insisted on. I’d love to see the airlines collectively raise the bar.