View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 04:33 PM
TFAYD
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
I fly the ERJ and have never flown the CRJ. 95% of the captains came from the CRJ and having had multiple discussions on the ERJ being "slippery" and all say yes. You can't get away with flying the ERJ like they did on the CRJ. The ERJ sucks up the boards over flaps one and also the VNAV is basing its path all the way to touchdown, so usually when things go south is transitioning between a VNAV managed approach to a visual approach where your trying to manually manage the automation. 90% of the time it goes to crap and I just hand fly it.
The biggest complaint with new FO's from captains is the inability of being able to handle the transition between VNAV to visual approaches.
As far as length of IOE. I believe the minimum is 30 hours and as far as max goes, I can't say for sure but I've heard it's around a hundred. Mine was around 47 hours scheduled including the final line check two day trip.
The conceptual issue people need to understand is that VNAV is designed to keep the plane as high as possible for as long as possible. If you push the speed too much you just limit your options as you are in a tight corner.

Assertive use of boards or gear can save the day in those cases.