Thread: SkyWest ?’s
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Tippy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: CRJ

^^most everything of what Swift said is true but I would like to add a different perspective...

Sounds like he and I are about the same seniority and have had a different experience, It Ive chosen to delay upgrade until i can have an acceptable QOL as a CA. I have no problem doing so because it gives me the lifestyle i want, Im a senior FO, bid almost anything I want, average 16 days off a month haven't worked a holiday in a couple years, and can get any vacation I want. Im not in a hurry to get the PIC time to move on, so if it takes me longer to get to a major so be it, I understand the economics of my choice and am okay with it. With wages coming up and in a two income household a nice life is very possible. My time here has been pretty decent. So theres two peoples paths and yours could be anywhere in between. I think people are picking up on the upgrade delay, theres a ton of senior FOs in every base, The company is Begging people to upgrade because there are now a lot more people staying FOs. If your west coast PDX or SEA the 175 is where you want to be, and trust me a senior FO bidding a sweet line can make about the same as a junior CA on reserve not breaking guarantee.

And yes i agree choose a regional that has a base where you live or provides the easiest commute. if you are commuting across the country or any two leg for an extra buck or two you are going to be a net negative dollar wise when you account fort the extra $ you will be spending on hotels, extra parking, meals etc. when you are spending more days away from home.