View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 PM
DontLookDown
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by MrMondays View Post
Howdy Folks!

I'm fresh off my first discovery flight and I'm absolutely grinning ear to ear. I'm absolutely hooked. The problem now is I find myself desperately wanting to wash my hands of my soul sucking career (software sales) and beginning anew in a potentially much more fulfilling career in flying.

I recognize that this would be a major financial investment, a big step back in pay initially, and a large time commitment not only by me but my partner as well.

Assuming airline pilot becomes the path, any tips on communicating the career change to a partner without them going off the deep end?

Emphasize the benefits and include her in that.

An example:

I was thinking that once we’re married I want to go on as many awesome adventures with you as possible. Taking off from work every week isn’t realistic, so I was thinking lots of weekend trips to cool places would be made possible in a small airplane. They’re safe and you would love it. My discovery flight went great and I think I’ll have a knack for this. It’s going to be expensive, but life is worth living and the cost of PPL license is half the cost of a sports car or a boat. It’s something easier to do early in life before kids so I want to start now. Once I have my certificates I’ll join a flying club, which is like being part owner in a plane and that will make it affordable to keep up with. I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but down the road this could also be a potential career. Major airline pilots make great money. They have flexible schedules and the job allows the entire family to travel anywhere in the world for free. Regional airlines are offering hiring bonuses that are large enough to recoup the investment of advanced training, but that’s something we’ll dive into later. For now, I want to start training after work and on the weekends for my private pilot certificate

Or you could say:

Yo I’m gonna be a pilot. Get on board or get out. Chicks dig pilots, so you’ll be replaceable. Choice is yours.

I’d prob go with the first option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk