Thread: UPS 2020 Hiring
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 06:44 PM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by RunnerMark View Post
Another hopeful.
Does UPS have a seniority calculator? If so, it for internal pilots only, or can you plug variables into it? Currently at a LCC, and pretty happy overall, but I'll be mid-50's before crack the top 2000 pilots. We have almost no retirements for another decade and everything is based on growth, and I've seen where that can end....
We have one through the union. Can play around with average retirement age, that’s about it. It outputs your seniority number (graphical and numerical) each year and displays total retirements and retirements junior to you per year. The big mandatory retirement wave is just building up so getting on now through the next couple /few years would serve you well. Don’t forget, seniority here is not as life changing as it is at a typical pax carrier. If you search posts by me (under FTFF username), I did a post about this a couple of years back. If you don’t want to search, the gist of it was that the only difference in the life of a junior guy vs. a senior guy is the senior guy gets the days off he wants, otherwise they are both flying roughly the same stuff. All relative to fleet and seat of course. This was a common saying around the sort and to some extent it is true. I’d argue this is more relevant between the blocks of 20-50% peeps vs the 51-80% group. The top dogs, with all the privileges top bidding affords, really do (can) live a good life....but dependent on conflict bidding to a noticeable extent. The bottom just feed on the leftovers which, relatively speaking, can be quite alright too. Along those lines, and FWIW, another platitude often spoken here is that there are no truly excellent schedules and no really bad ones either.

Hope this helps you build the big picture of this place in terms of seniority. Best of luck.

Last edited by FTv3; 01-11-2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Crap writing