View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 04:35 AM
PotatoChip
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
You can make $300K as an LCC CA. Or a legacy WB FO.

Odds of getting there for a noob today (college degree and clean record to start with)?

I'd SWAG 70%

Normally it might be 30% without all the retirements.
Originally Posted by Bahamasflyer View Post
I'd say 90-95% chance actually IF you cast a wider net to include the low/mid tier majors and LCCs like NK and F9, in addition to the legacies.
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Sure, clean record, stereo-typical pilot with no obvious personality defects.
I think you guys were missing my point. I wrote "legacy" pilot for a reason. That's what most new, aspiring aviators think of when picturing themselves jet setting around in their mind's eye. I don't think many set out to become an Allegiant captain, and by no means is that an offense to Allegiant.

Second, of course the chance is high IF you have a clean record, and IF this or that. That's my point. Most pilots will have a hiccup (or seven)...

The chances of someone starting pilot training today ending up as even a Spirit captain aren't that high. A lot of people wash out of training, or give up to begin with. More run out of money and stop altogether. Others have failures that don't look so pretty. Some get DUI's or in other infractions along the way. Some may have an egregious FAA infraction, or 11 speeding tickets. Some have a fiancee who doesn't support their dream and ends up causing all sorts of troubles... We all know these people, and they aren't becoming United captains anytime soon (or are a LOT less likely).

To anyone starting out right now, day one, I'm saying you have to be committed. In all areas of your life. 9/10 people starting out right now aren't going to become airline captains.