View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Casualinterest
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by Funk View Post
My kids graduated from east Cobb schools (which were great) and then we moved up to Ellijay (Gilmer County). I suggested Canton based on my impression of available land as I drive through (and from visiting a friend that lives there). I apologize, but I don’t know much about the schools.

I plan 3 hours for the drive (leaving house until I need to be at the gate), and I pattern bid to limit my drives to work at 3 per month (until I can hold a fleet and schedule with longer trips and fewer drives to work), and accept the additional planned slop in my drive time as the cost of a large acreage, horses and livestock, shooting on my own land, and small town living. I grew up up rural and it has become an acquired taste for my wife and we enjoy it a lot.

I have have a friend that make the drive from Big Canoe (no kids and >50% 7ERA), and another that drives from Blue Ridge (also empty nest; 330A). I also know someone that is west of Lake Allatoona (Cartersville; 73A, bids reserve and is a bit of a GS ninja). Lots to consider and weigh in the balance, but it is pretty as you get into the hills.

Considering the the cost, upheaval in family life, and the importance of schools, I would suggest investigating any area in person before committing. I hate traffic enough that before we bought land I burned multiple days off driving to the airport from during my typical get to work time just to see what it was like (no thank you on Alpharetta, Cumming, Dahlonega, or anywhere that touches 85 or 400).
Good to know. Thanks. We've been looking around down there for like a year. Just trying to find the best value/school ratio. East Cobb and PTC prices just seem so inflated right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk