View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 PM
nimslow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: HUD cripple.

Originally Posted by isuguy View Post
Tryin to understand why it seems a lot of people dislike reserve whilst living in base. Is it not a good deal? I’m new here, but other than wondering if ur phone is going to ring, isn’t it “usually” a really good deal?
Reserve being a "good" deal is very equipment and base dependent. Wide body it's usually a pretty great life. Narrow body really depends. If you want to fly almost every reserve day, narrow body reserve in DFW is for you. I may get two or three days a month that I don't get used (this last December was kind of unusual, many of us sat most of the month, without flying). I have also timed out several months on reserve. This has been my experience in DFW on the -80, airbus and now the 737 over the years.

Originally Posted by BeechPilot33 View Post
IS the juice worth the squeeze (commuting for the left seat)
Looking back, probably not. If I could have held G4 fo in DFW I wouldn't have done it. At the time, even G4 fo would have been commuting to reserve, so I figured if I was going to do that, I'd take the extra $$. Spending a few years commuting to crash pad reserve at 50 wasn't exactly as much fun as I remembered it being.