View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Attitude and airmanship are entirely different things... in the case you mention, I’m in complete agreement... if you can’t be a good dude/chick, then it doesn’t matter what type of stick you are, I don’t want you around. But the point I’m making is that a mil pilot (or civ for that matter) being out of the cockpit for 5 years should be a non issue unless they were a shtty pilot in the first place. That’s possible with any background. I’m proof.
I'm with you. I think flying is like riding a bike. The fundamental skills don't disappear. You might be rusty, but getting back up to speed won't take long.

That is not the problem with a lot of mil guys. They are a training risk because of their attitude, not aptitude. Happens more often at the regional level than you'd think. My comment was in response to someone who said mil guys are "close to a zero training risk".

At my regional, we have more year 1 washouts from military than civilian backgrounds. Granted, a lot of them are rotary, but it's mostly attitude towards studying rather than actual skills to fly a plane.