View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Name User
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by mainlineAF View Post
And what was their feeling on if going straight to zero was viable?
It was a fairly limited conversation as he was riding to work. We first started with a conversation about the current state of autonomy. He visited several of the tech companies so was somewhat familiar with where they are right now.

The thing that really stuck out was how far the FAA is taking the current regs. Example, random drug tests...the tech companies don't like that because they find it stifles their ability to get talent. I'm thinking...drug testing for a 135 drone operation? But they are sticking to it for now.

So that gives you an idea of the FAA's mindset.

I tried to push a little more into autonomous aircraft at this level. His thought, and again this is just his opinion, was within 20-30 years. But all of that is opinion. Nothing factual to back it up. He wasn't that high up in the FAA. But DC does have a special group tasked with working on it.

When you look at automation this (auto takeoff) is just the natural progression in things. It actually makes sense as it is by far one of the most dangerous events. It will allow both (or single) pilots to focus completely on the decision process.

When ATC goes completely automated is when (I believe) autonomous airliners are right around the corner, and we will see the beginning of the end for piloted aircraft. I think as long as we have ATC controlling aircraft directly, we are safe.

But, even that is evolving. https://www.discovermagazine.com/tec...ing-completion

One thing to keep in mind is in order to have worldwide ability, you're going to need to have the same software pretty much running everywhere. From the Caribbean islands to Europe, Asia, North and South America. This will be a large undertaking.

It mind end up that the automation will first take over the dispatcher and ATC jobs. Pilots will be tasked with dispatching their own flights, and ensuring aircraft comply and stay safe while operating under automated ATC instructions. We could be the last to lose our jobs...or the first.