View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 10:07 PM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

This is a good discussion.

About 18 months ago I turned down United for FedEx. I lived in a UAL base, so it was not an easy decision. However, having spent 7+ years of flying for United at a UEX carrier, I was absolutely sick of dealing with a dysfunctional airline, ungrateful pax, and often difficult/annoying FAs. Finally, the pension at FDX was WAY too good to pass up, as it gave me a chance to finally (and conservatively) be on track for retirement as a 40ish guy.

That said, during IOE at FDX, we wondered into a hotel at 5 am looking like complete crap, having just finished a brutal EWR 3 leg hub turn. We looked like garbage, and I could literally feel my body rejecting that kind of exhaustion like a sickness. It isn’t good, and doing that kind of stuff consistently will kill you. Anyway, as we walked into the hotel, there was a UAL crew looking fresh and chipper, getting ready to do their nice day trip. I REALLY regretted that decision to come to FDX at that moment.

Fortunately my schedules quickly improved, and I rarely feel like my rest is pushed to the limit. This is a pretty easy job for the most part, provided you do your best to take care of sleep as needed. My schedule is outstanding, and my experience with the vacation here has been absolutely incredible.

So do I regret not going to UAL? I still have days that I do, but then again I think I would’ve been very dissatisfied doing the same crap I was already doing, especially as passengers continue to become crazier and more entitled. I’ve also been able to witness the powerful international network FedEx has, and it truly is impressive and Amazon does NOT do what we do.