View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 05:41 AM
coryk
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Noworkallplay View Post
Great perspective. I was at another major prior to FedEx. Maybe even the one your at it sounds like. As a Jr guy I was getting red eyes. Keep in mind the reason most of them were only one leg was bc they were trans cons on 3/4 trans cons. So not enough duty time to hub turn usually. The company didn't not build them with more than one leg bc they were worried about fatigue, they did it because it was either over the max FDP or it was within the "buffer" of the FDP restriction.

I couldn't agree more with your pension statement. Its one of the biggest reasons I left. Our pension at Purple is 130k a year as long as you do 25 years of service and hit 5 years of earning greater than 260. My financial guy valued it at around 3 million if you were to try to offset it with a 401k only plan.

Its funny but we all do it. We look at other places and go "what if". Being Jr and commuting to night hub turns at FedEx can be exhausting and I can see how it can beat you down. However, once you get out of the bottom 30% there is no better place. Living in base solves a lot of things also.
Again, more good perspective.

Ultimately, I think we’re all competitive people. We see friends at DL/UA, whether us via social media, in passing, etc, and we only see the best parts of that job. We don’t see the less than ideal times when they might be question their own decision to go to that company.

I can see how one would get down commuting into RA, spending the weekend in Flint in January while all your buddies are in Cabo or San Diego for their nice layover. But, there are times I go to work at FedEx and laugh because the trip with all it’s built in soft-time is so easy. Whether it’s starting from home, first class ticket to finish, one leg during the day time. We really do have some good stuff here!