Thread: SkyWest ?’s
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 02:24 PM
bonanza
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by C172CFI View Post
Just made an account to start asking more questions on the forum, really would like to get as much information as I can regarding Skywest.

I am fresh CFI and plan on doing the Skywest Pilot Pathway Program because Skywest is probably going to be the best regional for me in regards to where they have bases. Pay and benefits aren't the highest in the industry but to me are still good compared to the regional airline industry as a whole. I live near Sioux Falls, SD, and will not be moving to an OO base right away, but possibly be getting a crash pad in base. Sioux Falls has many flights to and from MSP and ORD everyday so it honestly is quite an easy commute to those OO bases. I am not necessarily in a rush to get to a major airline. Obviously the faster you get to a major the better due to seniority, but I would be fine with the CRJ or 175 at Skywest. Shouldn't chase the metal you want to fly, but the 175 sure is a beauty!

I see that the CRJ is much more junior than the 175, but some questions for OO pilots on the 175 in MSP:

- What are the chances I would be able to obtain a MSP base on the 175?
- Will doing the Pilot Pathway Program help with obtaining that out of training?
- How long is reserve on the 175 in MSP?
- Is there a lot of flying on the 175 out of MSP?
- How long are you a FO until you can get a captain upgrade on the 175?
- Is MSP a good base for a pilot on the 175 in the future or will the 175s get moved more out west?
- Will Skywest start transitioning their fleet to more 175s in the future?

I know the airline industry is always changing and in a year when I get to ATP minimums, it is going to be a different than it is now. All I am doing is trying to get a perspective about being on the 175 at Skywest and just simply being a pilot at Skywest in general, along with if doing the Pilot Pathway Program is worth it.

Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this and I hope to get some input from anyone on this forum. Take care!
Your right on the commute see which one is mostly skywest or mainline. So much can change till you are ready to come to Skywest with CRJ vs 175. Skywest will most likely lose and hire 1000 plus pilots just this year. That alone will change things. Build your time and take the first class you can. Seniority is everything