View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 AM
BlueMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
No - didn't move anything. I'm simply saying that if the company is forced to comply with 117 and whatever additional cost that entails, it's only natural that they will attempt to offset those costs where they can. When we open up section 12 during our next CBA negotiations for a post 117 FedEx, what's to stop the company from using it to justify changes we don't want, like increased block hours before requiring an RFO. Telling the company we want to keep it the way it is doesn't seem like a real valid reason when the new science based regulation they just had forced on them says 9 is ok. The current 8 hour requirement is exceeded by our CBA. No one else uses 7:35. They all comply with the FAR limit of 8 if that's the limit that applies. Are you telling me that 117 airlines don't fly 9 hours without an RFO if the crew is acclimated? I kind of doubt that's really the case.

Also, the argument that we don't have to vote the change in doesn't hold much water considering our past history. A minority of our pilots care about RFOs or other more "niche" aspects of our work rules. All it took was 57% last time to say, "Meh.. good enough, I don't deadhead in first class much....... I don't do hotel-in-lieu of internationally..... I don't ............fill in the blank".
What stopped them from asking for 8 instead of 7:35 last time? Since everyone uses 8 and 8 is apparently safe enough.

We should use whatever argument we used to keep it at 7:35 in the last contract.

Last edited by BlueMoon; 01-22-2020 at 08:44 AM.