View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM
BunkerF16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Default High School Son wants to fly...

My son has decided he wants to be an airline pilot. As a military directly to JetBlue, one and only airline path, I have to admit my experience is lacking as to the best way to guide his path. I've done some research and I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to proceed. Seems to be a few paths out there but the two I'm contemplating recommending to him are as follows. Keep in mind, he doesn't have any desire to go the miltary route, so the pure civilian options are what I'm going back and forth.

1. ATP. He's a current junior. I was going to get him his PPL locally, to make sure his desire isn't because his old man does it. Also, I want to ensure he has the aptitude to do the flying, oral and written exams and handle the stress of checkrides. All the basic stuff that is ground level requirements to make this a career. After he completed his PPL, I believe ATP requires 78 hours not to have a 2 year degree in order to enroll in their program. After the ATP, I guess it's 2 years of instructing before applying for a regional airline then get in line like everyone else, while completing his online degree, to acquire the necessary experience to apply for the Majors.

2. We live near Western Michigan University. The other option would be send him to WMU to get his 4 year degree while also attending the local flight school associated with the college. After the 4 year degree, he's move on to instruct to get his hours before applying to the regionals, and ultimately the Majors.

3. ?? Any other options I'm missing that would be beneficial to investigate you could recommend.

If you're me, besides tell him not to become a pilot, what route would you recommend and help your son pursue if he really wants to become an airline pilot?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm going to repost this in the Majors section to get more views, so sorry for the duplicate posts if you see it there too.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rick