View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM
vectored
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Who knows what will show up and what won't?

If in doubt, safest thing is to report "several minor speeding tickets 1995-2010". Certain airlines won't love that, but at least you'll be covered if something pops up.

For your own background check, here's the thorough approach...

1) Use a reputable online service. This will cost some money and paperwork, but should hopefully turn up any really weird stuff (like convictions mistakenly associated with your name, or outstanding bench warrants for unpaid parking tickets).

2) Get your NDR Records. This should show all serious traffic violations/suspensions. In theory.

3) Get state motor vehicle records for any state you've lived in. The airlines might pull these for each state of residence. You might also do this for any state which you recall getting a ticket in, just so you know what's out there.

4) Use a FOIA request to get your FBI records. Just to be safe, mistakes happen, and whoever runs your SIDA will see this.

5) Use a FOIA to get your entire FAA file.

6) Get your PRIA record annually from your current employer, and check for errors (they happen, trust me on that). You can normally on get PRIA data from past employers when a new employer submits the request... check the box to get that.
Does American ask if you have ever been arrested? How far back does the FBI background check go? I was arrested over 20 years ago for a misdemeanor drug charge but was never convicted of anything. I think I just paid a fine and community service but it has been so long I am not exactly sure what the outcome was. I was 19 years old and spent one night in jail. I am guessing I can use the FOIA and request my own FBI records to verify dates and what exactly is on my record?