Old 01-23-2020, 08:51 AM
v1flyer
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by ninerdriver View Post
I just removed the R-ATP and PIC limitations from my pilot certificate using a DPE. I couldn't find a good condensed source of information for how to do it, so I'm gonna document it here.

Yes, if your airline will do this for you for free, then go ahead and do that, of course. However, if your airline won't/can't outside upgrade and you need/want an unrestricted ATP now, then this worked.

Instructions are based on direction from the PWM FSDO. It's never a bad idea to check with your local FSDO first, because y'know the FAA. If you'll work with a DPE who hasn't done this before, then you'll probably have to lead them through the process. Be prepared.

I needed one paper 8710 for each limitation that I was removing. This was explicitly stated by the FSDO inspector. I removed two limitations, so I submitted two 8710s. Neither the DPE nor the FAA gave me a hard time about submitting two forms at once.

If you're removing a 61.167 (R-ATP) restriction, then bring your logbooks to prove your aeronautical experience. If you're removing a PIC-in-type limitation, then bring proof that you have twenty-five hours of supervised operating experience (SOE: flying, not monitoring). If you're removing both limitations, then bring it all, of course.

On the 8710, make sure:
  • the certificate that you select is ATP.
  • the request that you select is limitation removal.
  • you specify the specific limitation on the form.
  • Part II is blank.
  • you complete Parts III and IV.
  • the DPE certifies that they've reviewed your logbook and/or training record.
  • The appropriate attachments are selected on the form and included. If you're submitting two forms, make sure that the correct paperwork is attached to each form.

The whole thing takes half an hour to an hour, depending on how fast and/or thorough your DPE is.

If your FSDO provides different instructions, then this thread would be a good place to document that. Just sayin'.

No, I can't lead you through the process personally. Please don't PM me about such stuff... just read the post above. Sorry.

Good luck!
For the supervised operating experience, did you log PIC for only the time you were in the air or did you also use taxi time?

Last edited by v1flyer; 01-23-2020 at 09:05 AM.