View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Av8tr1 View Post
Again, this is a leap of logic not even core to the question. One could argue, and I am, that one would face the same struggles through employer provided training. The difference is doing it on my own is easier with less to learn vers all the stuff crammed down your throat during indoc and flight training.

To suggest I would fail training "because" I didn't get my type through an airline paid program is the very definition of a red herring. Once I hire on with a employer I would still get the exact same training that any other candidate would get, I just hopefully already have the type. That makes airline specific training much easier once I get to that point.
When you get to large airplanes in the airlines even aircraft limitations may be different. I fly 737s and commute regularly on another 737 operator. We don't even fly them like they are the same airframe. The procedures and limitations we use are that different. I'm not saying that getting a type somewhere else is going to make you untrainable, but you are very fast to discount what others have observed. You are doing a disservice to the person who tried to give advice by calling it a "red herring." The point people are trying to make is that it most likely won't really have any impact on how "easy" or "less stressful" airline training is. People who think that they don't need to worry about it because they already have the "type" seem to be the ones that get into trouble. The advantage you have will be things like FMS operation and overall operating philosophy, but they can be a hurdle if you lean on them too much.