View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 05:04 PM
Shaman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Fetal in the hub

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
Man, you sure do feel a need to justify your extra flying. Sorry that I made you feel bad about it.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, only saying that making a statement that some anonymous person told you something and I am suppose to take it as fact isn't going to happen. Maybe you take those types of statements as facts. If so, then I'll let you know what someone in the union told me. They told me that 80% of the extra flying was done by less than 20% of the crew force. Don't believe me, just ask them.

Also, your statement above still doesn't prove that the average FedEx pilot made $320K or more. Show me that 2500+ pilots made $320K or more. The thing with math is that you can make the numbers tell you a lot of different things. How about finding out what the median salary is for a FedEx pilot.

I guess you missed the "all kidding aside" in my post.

Now, since I am super senior and obviously out of touch with what happens in the trenches, I'll get back to my scotch.
Think it was mentioned earlier that when talking about "averages" the differences in the mean, and the median is important to consider. It could make you both right.

If you simply totaled ALL of the ANNUAL salaries and divided that number by the number of active pilots (the mean) I could see that number being easily north of 300k. That 20% who allegedly fly all the open time can skew the numbers significantly higher. The median (ie the salary in the middle of the ranked order) is likely a lower number that may seem more realistic for the "average" pilot.