View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 01:11 PM
Brett Hull
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by Armyguy View Post
its a fortune 100 company if that makes any difference with a long track record in corp aviation
I left a phenomenal Fortune 500 job (2 G550’s & 2 Falcon 900’s) with a 70 year old flight department to go to an airline. And a month after I left the guys were called in and told by the end of the year they wouldn’t have jobs there any longer. The department closed last month. I saw it coming since we were being bought, gritted my teeth, and made a move to the airlines. I got tired of telling my wife and kid every 5ish years that I was losing my job and we were going to have to move for the next one.

I absolutely understand what you’re feeling. Airline flying is mind-numbingly boring. I loved my last corporate job and all the guys and gals I worked with; I’d kill for one of the 2 week trips to Edinburgh we used to do a couple times a year. If it still existed and there was a guarantee it would survive for the next 21 years I’d go back without thinking twice. That, or a severance plan that guarantees they’d pay me what I’d earn until I reach 65 (then they could close the doors the next day - that would be awesome). But barring that, I’m going to close on 6 acres Monday and build a house on it knowing that’ll be my family’s house until we retire. Not just until a flight department goes away.

I’ll end with this: I’m not sure if he’s on here, but a few years ago a guy posted a similar question to yours. He was thinking of leaving American for a sports apparel manufacturer who’s known for sponsoring a certain kneeling unemployed quarterback. He did end up leaving AA for the job, but I’m not sure if he made it a whole year there before he realized the job wasn’t what it was sold to him as, and quit. Just because it’s a big named company with nice shiny airplanes doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a great job.