View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Bahamasflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by RJSAviator76 View Post
I’m hopeful that if the business aviation wants to retain pilots, they’ll have to give them golden parachutes and offer various income protection schemes. I would love nothing more than to work in business aviation again. I love the level of involvement and the variety of flying. From that aspect, the airline work is mind-numbing in comparison.

At most corporate jobs, an airplane is only a tool that can be disposed of at a change of helm or in a new political climate. Remember 2008 and Obama’s war on corporate jet owners? On the other hand, airlines cannot function without airplanes.

What happens if you lose your medical? What if it’s only temporary? Will your corporate job still be there? I think it’s safe to say that every major airline pilot group has income protections until 65 in form of LTD.

As a pilot flying for a major airline, I’d have to have a significant golden parachute and income protection scheme in order to leave this cushion. In other words, the owners will have to start offering executive-level benefits and packages to pilots. Big numbers. Offer me financial security until retirement, and protect me should I lose my medical, and I’m all ears.
Right on the money (no pun intended).

In addition to the income and medical protections you list, I'd also want the same flexibility as the majors have when it comes to trading, swapping and picking up trips for premium pay.

I know 121 flying is boring, but quite honestly, I love being ''just a number" at work and the relative anonymity that comes with it.