View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Skywriting
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Seaber
Yes, this TA definitely continues the pattern of TAs since 9-11, i.e., pilot salaries and benefits being systematically reduced to the level of "blue collar professionals" (my term). In other words, pilots are well along a glide slope taking their compensation to levels similar to those paid to experienced big-city policemen, factory foremen, civil servants, successful new-car salesmen, etc. I figure the bleeding will taper off when salaries for mainline captains stabilize in the 100-120K range.

I'm young enough so that I can reconcile myself to that salary level. I mean, it's still six figures. You can raise a family on that. You can send your kids to college (state schools, with financial aid). You can take a good vacation once a year. Might be tough to buy a house these days in any "hot" metropolitan area, but at least in our profession you can live just about anywhere with airline service and commute.

I'm afraid this new reality is going to further stimulate a wall of anger from pilots older than me, however -- say, guys in their late 40s and up. Frankly, I'm not looking forward to cockpit conversations in the years to come with the older guys. There's already a ton of bitterness, as we all know -- but I think it's going to get worse, because I don't see the situation getting "better," just stabilizing for the indefinite future at a new, lower, compensation level.

Judging from this statement you should make a great regiional pilot. Listen to the professionals on this forum and just mabe you will learn that there is a lot more to this job then you have made assumtions about.
If your satisfied with the figures you quoted for salary you will be doomed to that nitch forever. Try having some vision and imagination which is required by the professional in this job. By the way we need ramp people to help bring back this industry to the levels it deserves. There could be a opening there for someone with yur vision.