Old 02-01-2020, 07:12 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 4020Driver View Post
Ok, I figured the big six are basically out no matter what. I’m understanding as of now, your opinion is that ULCC’s and higher their ACMI is out as well, until hiring industry-wide picks up to such a rate that “high-teir” candidates have been hired by industry and someone such as myself is the last person at the dance basically. Is that fairly accurate? It seems that the best I can hope for would be to be hired at the mid to end of a hiring cycle if I went the ULCC/ high their ACMI route.
Middle/lower-tier majors are currently hiring qualified pilots who have one-too-many blackmarks for the top tier. Frankly, they like that, it means you won't leave for DL in 18 months. I would think four busts spread out throughout your career would be a bit much for middle-tier, but I think in your case it would be OK since it was really a very isolated circumstance and you were young. Personally I would consider that to be more like one bust where the system got stuck like a broken record and kept doing the same thing over and over again, taking a teenager along for the ride. I think if you had a few thousand turbine and 1000 TPIC you could get a middle-tier job right now. Even more likely in the years ahead, as you say.

If you had some turbine time ACMI would hire you right now. And then there's Southern... they'd probably hire you tomorrow with your current time.

All that said... you should do a careful self-evaluation of your instrument and multi-tasking skills. If you are in fact relatively weak in that regard 121 training could be a struggle.