View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Southern Fried
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Bulldog08 View Post
I’m already struggling with idea of being gone 4 days every week from the family. Adding an extra day on the front and end to commute would probably be unbearable...
As a future commuter, you need to seriously evaluate your family situation.

1. Do you have special needs children?
2. Do you live in a remote location?
3. Do you have extended family nearby to help when needed?
4. Is your spouse dependent on you for everyday things? Does your spouse have a strong friend network?

Number 4 is especially difficult for some pilots. If you have a spouse who pines for you during every 4 day trip, your life is not going to be enjoyable. I've seen this with other pilots I've flown with. You can see the frustration, anguish, and sometimes anger when they are on the phone with their spouse. Before and after every flight. It's not pretty.
I was lucky to find someone who is independent and willing to suffer(?) me being gone for days at a time. I made sure to educate her about what life would be like before I proposed to her, so she would know what she was getting herself into. She is smart and can handle things in my absence. She still misses me (believe it or not) but she knows how to occupy her time while I'm gone. It's a little harder for her now, since the girls have grown up and we have an empty nest.
On a side note, I am gone from home way more as an airline pilot than I was while active duty in the military. Food for thought for all of you current military folks looking to make the jump to the airlines.