View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Southern Fried
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Bulldog08 View Post
Thanks for the valuable info. I’m currently working for a 91 operator only working 10-12 days a month with maybe 5 max overnights. They are about to move our flight department about a 2 hour drive away. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will just let me commute. Sounds like the commuting life is pretty brutal. Might have to look into cargo, our a home based 135 gig instead.
Look at your work/retirement timeline. Are you close to retiring? If not, you can do worse than working for an airline. QOL at work is pretty good. You tend to get spoiled as a 121 pilot. 91 and 135 both require more work other than flying the plane. Also, in general there is less stability and benefits compared to 121. Of course, there are always exceptions to this. The trick is to find a good operator who will treat you right. If you prize time at home above all else, then airline flying is not for you. Personally, I'm used to commuting now. I would be hard pressed to trade what I have for a 91 or 135 gig. To be fair, it would take an exceptional 91 or 135 operator to match my W2 and benefits. 121 has a lot to offer overall.